Friday, April 17, 2009

Meeting Cecily Tyson

http://matthewasprey.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/sorcerer.jpg
A few years ago I was walking into a Nancy Wilson after-party when I ran into actress Cecily Tyson. Although I had never met her before, I introduced myself. "I've been a big fan of yours for years," I gushed, thinking of Sounder and Miss Jane Pittman. "I saw you one time in Trader Vic's, but I was afraid to approach you."

Reminding me of my grandmother, her voice was sweet as honey. "Oh, baby. Why were you so afraid?"

Remembering the incident clearly, I blurted, "Because Miles was with you."

There was a look in Cecily's eyes as she recalled the many wild nights of her late ex-husband Miles Davis. Gazing at me, she smiled. "Well, I can understand your fear," she said.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Marcus Reeves said...

LMAO. Great story Mike.

10:51 AM  
Blogger niya holland said...

nice. I became a fan of hers after seeing her in a Sounder too.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently met her at a Nabob event. So full on no-nonsense. So straight to the point. Man she was so over so many things....

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home